Sunday, March 13, 2011

Wiener Schnitzel?

So Monday was my first day of class at MCI, Austrian Society and Culture. I learned all about Austria! I had class at MCI 1, the main campus in the morning, and then at MCI 3 in the afternoon.

Getting to MCI 3 is very interesting. You could hike halfway up the mountain or you could take the lift. I am not sure if it is really called the lift but that is what I call it.

I did not take pictures of it yet but the majority of my tourism classes will be up there so I will take some next time.

I ended up buying a bus pass for 6 months for 120 euro and with this pass I can use the lift to get to MCI3 for free. Otherwise it would be 6 euro a day, and that is with the student discount.

Anyway, the classes are very different here. I had Austrian Society and Culture Monday through Friday three days were 9-5 and two days were 9-12, and that’s it, I am done, the exam is next Friday and should take about 10 minutes and then I start my next class in a week. I could really get used to this.

One day at MCI 3 we had to cook! Our chef was great, such a nice guy. Ally, from Canada, was my partner, and we had by far the best looking apple strudel, we are awesome. All together we made, apple strudel, wiener schnitzel, potato salad, and pancake soup.

Apple strudel is like the diet version of apple pie, if I added a cup more sugar, cinnamon, and butter, I’m sure it would have been amazing. The way we made it… not great haha.

Schnitzel was awesome. For those of you that do not know what schnitzel is, this is my description. You start with a piece of pork (side note: traditional wiener schnitzel is veal but the majority of people use pork now), beat the shit out of it with a meat hammer until it is paper thin, dip it in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, and then fry it in a pan with a pound of lard. I like it with cranberry sauce but some of the other students put ketchup on it. It is great!

Austrian potato salad is basically boiled potatoes with oil and vinegar on them. It was not bad but not what I think of when I hear potato salad.

Now pancake soup... hmm...

We started by making pancakes, but they are not really pancakes. They are not sweet. I am not sure how to describe them, just imagine unsweetened pancakes that are not really pancakes but have a consistency some where between a crepe and pancake, they are dense and kind of doughy. Then you put them in a beef broth and it is delicious!!

This is a picture of me with my partner Ally, the chef, and two students from Iceland after we all finished making our food!

No comments:

Post a Comment