Sunday, March 6, 2011

"But I would walk 500 miles"

Wednesday morning I went down to the bus stop, which is right outside of my dorm, and this one is easy because there is only one bus there, it only goes one way, and there are other people to open the bus doors for you. Haha

I met up with Matt in the middle of town because it was Johanna’s birthday. She has been so great to Matt and I. She goes out with us, drives us around, fills us in on the Austrian details, is genuinely interested in the things we say, and actually like being around us haha. Oh, and is the best buddy we could have hoped for. So we bought her flowers and a card then headed over to school for our first day of orientation.
Me, Johanna, Matt

All of the exchange students sat in one big room together and went over everything we should do. Matt and I were totally bored because like I said, our buddy is amazing, and we were so far ahead of the game. Everything they explained we had already done, phone, bank, class schedule, DONE!

Then we had a little lunch break and Matt and I met three girls from New York, they are great and actually live in my building.

We were then split up into groups and given tours of the campus. Then they showed us how to navigate the MCI website.

Afterwards, I met Matt and Johanna at a little pizza place behind school, we were also introduced into Johanna’s friend Tom! Tuuli, from Finland, also met us there a little later.

Next stop IKEA, again. Haha I needed a rug and some boxes. Johanna made a quick stop at a restaurant. Her family owns a farm and grows fruit and then sells juice to the restaurants in town. So we were dropping some off.

Oh! One thing I noticed, in parking garages they have ladies parking, it is closer to the doors and has more surveillance in case something were to happen. Keri, one of the girls from New York, and I have discussed how we feel about this a few times now and I am still not sure. It is safer I guess but it kind of makes me feel handicapped. It is basically handicapped parking. The spaces are even wider than the normal ones.

So we finally got to ikea, and picked out what we needed.

Johanna even found a nice place to rest! Haha


Later on at check out Tom and Matt walk up to me, Johanna, and Tuuli standing in line and says “Ah, I see the homeless has left their home.”

Matt and I died laughing. I think we don’t expect people that speak English as a second language to be funny. That may sound odd but when you are focusing so hard on understanding what people say that when you digest it, after sorting through their accent, it just makes it even more hilarious.

Johanna and Tuuli left in the car and then me, Matt, and Tom took the bus over to Matts dorm to drop off our new purchases.

Then we headed into town for the Pub Quiz our school was having. It was actually at the same pub we went to our first night in Innsbruck.

We had a great time, and I decided I need to find something cheaper than Jack to drink but I would have one last night with him haha. I went to the bar to get my last one and I saw the bartender cleaning up so I asked him if he had already made last call and he said, no lie, “Are you from Canada?” I said “No”, he said, “Then no, I have not made last call.” Hahaha I’m pretty sure he had, but he was Irish and I have red hair, even if I have never been to Ireland may hair has to be worth something, right?

So later Johanna met us at the bar and then took us to another bar. There is always smoking and nonsmoking but unfortunately the smoker side is always more fun. My eyes were literally burning at one point, but this bar was so worth it.




They were singing Karaoke!!! All American songs! Like “I would walk 500 miles” hahaha it was hilarious.

Johanna ended up taking Matt and I home because it was so late the bus was not running and the night liner doesn’t go to my dorm so I would have had to take a taxi.

Johanna is the best!!

Tschuss!!

No comments:

Post a Comment