Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"If You French Fry When You Should Pizza Then You Are Going To Have A Bad Time"

Friday (March 25) I went skiing for what felt like the first time ever!

I took the bus to the main station with Jenna, from Finland, and then got on another bus that went and picked up everyone else from a different stop.

It took us an hour and fifteen minutes to get to Kuhtai. I had to rent ski’s, boots, and poles. The man asked me what my shoes size is but I have no idea in Austria so he had to pull out the foot measure-er thing. Then! He asked my weight, again, I have no idea in kilo’s, he walks over to me, tells me to stick out my arms to the side, the lifts me. “50 kilos”

Human scale? Alright!

So then I see the bunny hill and decide I will be fearless for the day. Ally and I get on the chair lift, I get to the top and then remind myself I have a fear of heights and I am strapped to two things I have no clue how to use.

But the view was great.


I man up and just go for it. I then proceed to fall, and fall, and continue falling, I eventually go through a marked off area, into a children’s ski competition, I am finally stopped by someone who drags me out of the competition and just leaves me there.

Ally thought it was hilarious. I sat there, in the snow for about 10 minutes, weighing my options.

I then took my ski’s off and walked down the hill.




I signed up for lessons, adult lessons.





Peter was my instructor and there was one other girl learning to ski, Briane, from Scotland.

Peter was great! There was a smaller hill he took us to that Ally and I clearly missed. We started with stopping, then turning, then multiple turns. He kept asking me if I had been on ski’s before, I told him no, if he had seen my recent fall he would have believed me.

I also was not counting the one time I went to the Pocono’s when I was six.

So after practicing for about 45 minutes, Peter took us over to the flying carpet as I like to call it.

You just scoot onto it and then it grips your ski’s and pulls you up!
I got to the top, which is not far at all, and Peter showed me what to do! He must have been much more confident in my skills than I was because next he took me on the dreaded chair lift!

We got to the top and I fell, twice, “Don’t worry, Peter’s coming, Peter’s coming!”, he would yell. I just had to sit still until he could get back to me and help me maneuver myself into an upright position again, haha

He just kept telling me it wasn’t my fault, that basically the snow was shit. He told me to go back at nine the next morning and the snow would be perfect!

(Me, Peter, and Briane)

The girls came back at two, when my lesson was over, and I went down the little mountain a few more times with Ally.



And I have a video, this is after my ski lesson!



They went to do another run and I returned my ski’s and walked over to meet them.

Pictures on my walk:



There was a bar with lawn chairs! I of course got a “toast” and hot chocolate! We sat in the sun for a little while and then headed home.

Me and Ally


The girls!

One thing I was not expecting was the weather. It was so warm. I mean snow was everywhere but I can remember much colder days in Florida in January.

The next morning I was exhausted and I had bruises on the front of my legs from the boots.

But by Sunday I was ready to go for round two! I went to rent ski’s and Ally found some that were on sale for 60 Euro.

I bought ski’s and then rented boots and poles.

We got up to the mountain and this snow was like a slushy, so much worse than the day before.

I went down twice, and I didn’t even try to turn, I wanted it to be quick and painless. So I pizza’d the entire way down.

Ally then went up the mountain with the rest of the girls and I took a break.

When they got back down I went to the top with them but I just went into the restaurant.

I was in desperate need of hot chocolate.

It was gorgeous up there and I loved the place, they could even open the massive windows.

When the girls got up there Ally and I decided to try this soup, I am not sure what it is called but the “dumpling” in the middle was like soggy bread and cheese in a chicken or beef broth. It was pretty good. We also got Ski Wasser! I loved it. It is just carbonated raspberry flavored water.

We called it an early day and took the bus back to Innsbruck.


Oh and for those of you that do not watch south park there is an episode where the boys go to aspen and are learning to ski and the instructor repeatedly says "If you french fry when you should pizza then you are going to have a bad time." He is referring to the position of the ski's, when tey are straight and side by side then it is french fry and you will go forward, quickly. If you put the front of your ski's together and the back outward then it looks like a slice of pizza, this is how you stop.

So if you "french fry" when you should "pizza" you will have a HORRIBLE time.

No comments:

Post a Comment