Thursday, January 6, 2011

Life, Study Abroad, and All the Dark and Sunny Sides.

I have not posted in a while so I have a lot to fill you in on.

I finally got my housing application in. The form was really simple and I picked my top three places and listed three types of housing I am willing to live in. Like a single room with bathroom, with a shared kitchen, or a single room with a kitchenette, etc.

The next step was to wire over 650 Euro. I figured this would be easy, just go to the bank and transfer it. NOT! The housing company sent me a confirmation email and gave me all the information of the bank I needed to transfer it to. So I went to my credit union. Where i was told they could not tell me what the exchange rate was. So I pulled out my Blackberry and googled it. NOTE: she had a computer sitting right in front of her. Apparently she doesn't get paid to help clients.

I was charged a $45 transfer fee and sent over $851 USD. I received a confirmation email from the housing office saying they received my transfer a I was confirmed but they only received 619 Euro. Now I am lost, I was confirmed so do I still need to send 31 additional Euro? Or is that it? Will they take that?

I emailed the housing director for answers. I got an automatic email saying he was out of the office until January 10, 2011. Considering the money was due December 31, 2010, I was already anxious because was the 4th of January. I called the bank and asked them if they could fax me the form to sign so that I could wire more money. (I am in Orlando and they are in Largo) They could not do that. So it is now the 6th and I will transfer more money first thing in the morning.

I am still nervous. Matt was already told which apartment he will be in and I havent heard anything from them lately. Four more days until the 10th! Hopefully housing returns my email then before I die of anticipation.

Now on to the bad news! I will try to keep this as non-catty as possible. This journey began with three of us going together. At this point I am still in the dark. Things have not been great between the roommies lately. I was hurt by someones actions and when I was open with them it sparked a huge argument that revealed someones true colors to me. I put it behind me and pretended like nothing was wrong that night. I then realized that since the began of our relationship I have always been the one saying "What are we doing tonight?", "Where are we going", "When are we doing this?", and so on. It is not a great feeling when you realize if you weren't there they probably wouldn't even notice. I convinced myself I was overreacting and decided I would stop being the one asking the questions. I would just go to my room and mind my own business and see how long it takes for one of them to say something to me.

This was two days before Christmas. That night they went out, no one said a word to me, next night same thing. It took eight days for one of them to text me. I did not respond because it was clear it was a drunken text and I still have not heard a word from either of them since that text. Total number of days now: 14. CHEERS to living with people that don't care about you.

This started out as my own stupid little game to prove to myself I was crazy but it back fired. I ended up resenting them for leaving me out, not caring to say a word to me, and making a ton of noise at 2:00 am in the process. Its clear I need to be out of that environment as soon as possible.

Why is all of this relevant? Well rumor has it they are no longer studying abroad. And yes, rumor. I was told by multiple people that I am now going alone. Which is fine, I am actually okay with it. I will probably meet more people and be totally thrown out of my comfort zone. I am even more excited/nervous/anxious than before and I love it. I am just even more exasperated that the people I live with and considered friends do not have the decency to come to me and tell me themselves. Nope, I had to find out from people at work.

On the plus side, all of this has shown me people that will always be here for me regardless. I will miss them terribly while I am over seas. In the meantime I plan to spend as much time with them as I possibly can. You all know who you are and I LOVE YOU!

Next subject!

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

JA!

I have been working on Rosette Stone like its my job. I feel like I am slowly making progress. I cannot have a conversation with someone and I already forget to say "My name is" but if you say words to me very clearly and slowly I may be able to figure out what you are talking about. Ali and Andrew are also helping by writing German quotes on the sides of moving boxes (complete with Michael Jackson "HeHE!!'s") and google translating everything into German before posting it in facebook. Thanks guys! haha

Well until next time!

tschuss!!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I love the quotes on the box and everything, that's awesome! I'm sorry about the roommate situation, but I admire your bravery for being so adventurous and I bet you are going to have a killer time and meet tons of crazy cool people! I'm very excited, and a tad bit jealous of ya! haha. I can't wait to read more! Hope everything with the money and housing works out- keep updating :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Destini! That means a lot! I will keep posting! I can't wait until I am actually there posting pictures and telling stories of my adventures.

    ReplyDelete