Thursday, October 14, 2010

It has hit the fan.

I received my first e-mail from Maureen stating that we need to get our application in. Meaning we have to pick our classes for Austria, and submit the application and learning agreement, along with two passport photos, to MCI.

Amanda and I went and saw Maureen at main campus about two weeks ago just to talk to her in person. We realized that she has her hands FULL. She is responsible for all study abroad students. Which is about 85 students at main campus. Josh is supposed to be in charge of the study abroad students from Rosen but he is busy as well.

So when it comes to some of the questions I have I am a little in the dark. I have so many people I can ask but it just takes time for people to get back to me. I wish there was more of a structured outline or to do list or even a timeline, to keep me on track.

The most confusing thing for me was picking out classes. Their credit system is structured different from the ones in the states. I am still not even sure how it works I just know I am still one credit short so I need to change a class but my application was submitted anyway, knowing full well it would have to be sent back and edited. Oh well, at least its a start I guess.

I tried to go and get my passport on Monday but no one at the port office answers the phone so I had to go by the post office, to schedule an appointment for next week. After that I believe the next step is applying for my visa.

It is also time that I start emailing my study abroad advisor at MCI, she is going to be my main go-to person over there so I should probably start getting to know her now.

I really need to find a place to live but it is so expensive, I will be paying the same price if not more, than I am paying now in my apartment but I will be in a little dorm with a tiny window. But it is all about the experience, right?

My travel plans have also changed I will be in Florida until mid February, meeting up with Julia and Amanda in Boston, and then we will fly to London stay for a few days and then continue on to Vienna. Then take a train from Vienna to Innsbruck. We decided this should work out better because it gives us a week to get used to Innsbruck and find out where some things are located.

I found this amazing website: www.StudentUniverse.com which has student airfare at a discounted rate, it is awesome!! I also was told about www.RyanAir.com, which has some amazingly cheap flights throughout Europe as well.

As of now my to-do list includes:
*Getting Passport
*Getting Visa
*Finding a place to live
*Making sure my health insurance is valid in Austria (And covers skiing accidents)
*Opening a USAA Checking account and verifying they do not charge exchange fees
*Talking to financial aid about scholarships/loans
*Apply for scholarships
*Start booking flights
*Figure out more creative ways to get free money! haha

So I have a lot to do on top of school and work and I feel like every thing has hit the fan all at once. I need to get on track and start sorting things out before I am too late. Its like I am in the final leg of the race and I can see Austria in the distance!!

I think that sums it up for now!

Oh wait! I also decided to start taking Rosetta Stone to learn German, or at least attempt to learn German. I work for Marriott and they will pay for me to use it, I just need manager approval. I spoke to my manager today and he said go for it that I just need to stick with it. They say if I spend 30 minutes a day on it I should be done in four months. I am going to start hopefully after my midterms are done this month.

Wish me luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment